Evergreen Fire Rescue Autism Sensitivity Training April 24, 2023
Autism Sensitivity Training for First Responders
This course is training for first responders when dealing with an autistic individual. Learn what autism is, recognize the signs/characteristics, and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
Also learn how to perform EMS exams on autistic patients, and utilize unique strategies for search and rescue operations. Case reviews of calls with autistic individuals.
Police, Fire and EMS and other first responders who respond to emergencies that may involve autistic individuals.
- First Responders will be able to describe what autism spectrum disorder is & how it can present in autistic individuals.
- First Responders are able to describe strategies, ways to interact & the importance when evaluating and autistic patient.
- First Responders are able to name typical behavioral patterns seen in autistic individuals who are under stressful situations (e.g., fire, medical emergency), and ways to approach these situations, including the most important safety rule to prevent a wandering/bolt risk.
Gina Scarbrough, NRP, FP-C
Kim Marklund, AAS, BA, MA
EMS Continuing Education approved by the State of Colorado through Centura Health Prehospital Services Training Center and Group # CO 039 (SAH), #CO 040 (PSF) and #CO 065 (SDG)
- 1.00 Medical
- 1.00 NCCP-Medical: Special Healthcare Needs
- 1.00 Operations
- 0.50 NCCP-Operations: At-Risk Populations
- 0.50 NCCP-Operations: Pediatric Transport