Elk Creek Oct 19, 2023 Autism & the First Responder
The presentation will cover what autism is, the signs & characteristics, and how to respond appropriately. Gain knowledge about Search & Rescue operations, including how to lure an autistic individual back to safety, as well as the latest tracking devices & apps used by caregivers.
- First Responders will be able to describe what autism spectrum disorder is & how it can present in autistic individuals.
- First Responders are able to describe strategies, ways to interact & the importance when evaluating and autistic patient.
- First Responders are able to name typical behavioral patterns seen in autistic individuals who are under stressful situations (e.g., fire, medical emergency), and ways to approach these situations, including the most important safety rule to prevent a wandering/bolt risk.
Kim Marklund, AAS, BA, MA
Gina Scarbrough, AAS, NRP, FP-C
EMS Continuing Education approved by the State of Colorado through Centura Health Prehospital Services Training Center and Group # CO 039 (SAH), #CO 040 (PSF)
- 1.00 Medical
- 0.50 NCCP-Medical: Psychiatric and Behavioral Emergencies
- 0.50 NCCP-Medical: Special Healthcare Needs
- 1.00 Operations
- 1.00 NCCP-Operations: At-Risk Populations